Welcome to Chocolate Town.
My husband has a sweet tooth the size of Texas, and is well-known for his decadent (non-vegan) baking. I thought I'd give him a run for his money with my own over-the-top vegan creation. This recipe did not disappoint.
The avocado brownie recipe is super easy (hence the name), and you probably already have a lot of the ingredients in your pantry right now.
The icing is also a snap to prepare, and the mint kick is so delicious on top of the brownies.
This is not exactly a healthy dessert, but man, they are good.
Easy Peasy Avocado Brownies
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 20 minutes
Serves 12-16, depending on the size of your brownies
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup cane sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup water
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 avocado (approx.1/4 cup)
1/8 cup dark chocolate, roughly chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and lightly coat an 8x8" pan with cooking spray
2. Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl
3. Puree avocado and olive oil in a small bowl with a hand mixer on low
4. Add pureed mixture to dry ingredients, then add water and apple cider vinegar
5. Mix everything together until smooth, then fold in dark chocolate (if desired)
6. Pour mixture into greased pan and bake for 17-20 minutes*
7. Remove from oven and allow brownies to cool completely before frosting
*These brownies can quickly morph into cake if over-baked, so remove them before the batter sets completely. The middle should be moist but not runny when a toothpick is inserted.*
Mint Chocolate Frosting
Prep time: 10 minutes
1/4 cup Earth Balance margarine, slightly softened
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1/4 cup soy milk
1. Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl
2. Add margarine, peppermint extract and soy milk
3. Blend with a hand mixer on low
4. Let mixture stand until ready to spread on brownies
That's it! So simple.
Frost the brownies once they're totally cool, then add a sprinkle of chopped dark chocolate on top just for fun.
Recipes adapted from Gimme Some Oven & Babble