Wednesday, 10 April 2013

The Bewildered Lemon

Well, to be honest, I've been racking my brain all afternoon trying to figure out how to describe this smoothie.

It's delicious, never fear, but in a way I'm having trouble putting into words.

For starters, the ingredient list is a little...different. I asked my husband to pick up some organic lemons at the grocery store a few days ago, and lo and behold, the organic ones are only sold in bags of six. I had absolutely no use for the five remaining lemons, so I started wondering about the possibilities of a lemon smoothie.

I often use banana and almond milk as the base of my smoothies, but I thought they might clash with the lemon. I instead opted to get the creaminess from an avocado mixed with water and a bit of ice.

The complimentary fruit is mango. There's nothing strange about mango. I'd eat mangoes every day for the rest of my life and be very, very happy.

I added a bit of maple syrup to balance the acidic, lemony goodness and also some cold-pressed flax oil for an omega boost.

The combination of tastes sounds weird, but trust me - it's really, really good.

The smoothie gets its lovely light green colour from a punch of mixed greens, but there is absolutely no traditional green smoothie taste. I've found some green smoothies waver between fantastic and "I'm drinking liquefied spinach" but this one has zero roughage aftertaste.

The Bewildered Lemon

Prep time: 5 minutes

Makes 1 large-ish smoothie (10 oz) or 2 wee smoothies (5 oz)

Ingredients:

1/2 lemon, peeled
2 cups mixed greens (Earthbound Farms Organic Baby Lettuces)
1 cup frozen mango chunks
1/2 avocado, peeled
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 Tbsp. cold-pressed flax oil (Emile Noel Organic Flax Oil)
1/2 cup cold water
3 ice cubes

Instructions:

1. Add everything to your blender and blend, blend, blend!

I'm thinking this one is a little addictive...