Thursday, 4 April 2013

The Purple People Eater

I have a confession to make.

I love smoothies.

I know, I know - smoothies are everywhere. People wax poetic about all the amazing benefits of smoothies while non-believers roll their eyes and think, "Yeah, yeah, yeah...here we go again about the smoothies.".

But you know what? The trendy hipsters are right. Smoothies are awesome.

I'll also confess that I'm not a huge fan of salads. "Hello, my name is Lisa. I'm a vegan who doesn't eat a lot of salads."

I know all the individual elements of a salad are delicious, and they have all that great healthy stuff my body needs, but I usually find a big plate of raw greens and vegetables fairly dull. I've tried zesty dressings, spices, creative vegetable and green combinations, but it still doesn't pique my interest.

Especially at lunch.

I'm a very no-nonsense eater at lunchtime. I don't want to take the time to wash, chop and prepare a salad. I want something I can put together in a few minutes, enjoy, then get on with my day.

Enter the smoothie.

Smoothies are the fastest, easiest way to pack a ton of vegetables, fruit, carbohydrates, protein, vitamins and minerals into one delicious, drinkable meal.

There are endless combinations to suit every diet, taste and style - just open the refrigerator and freezer, see what you have and go for it!

I have a smoothie almost every day for lunch. It satisfies a huge portion of my daily nutritional requirements, plus it keeps me feeling full for hours.

I'm always messing around with new smoothie concoctions, so I'll post more recipes as they develop.

Here is the smoothie I made today. It has an extra-special ingredient - PURPLE KALE!


The Purple People Eater

Prep time: 5 minutes

Makes 1 large (16oz) or 2 medium (8oz) smoothies

Ingredients

1 cup almond milk
1 frozen banana
2/3 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 Tbsp. hemp seeds
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. agave (or maple syrup)
4 large purple kale leaves, washed and broken into large pieces


Directions

1. Add all ingredients to a blender and pulse until smooth.

That's it! So. Good.