Wednesday, 24 April 2013

The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

I'm still relatively new to the world of cooking, and am constantly working on feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.

Some days are glorious: I have all of the ingredients in my house, the recipe comes together well and tastes fantastic.

Other days are just horrific: my poor husband Dave is sent out to the grocery store (again!) because I forgot yet another ingredient, the recipe completely falls apart and tastes terrible.

Yesterday was a glorious day.

First I did a final test of my spiced red lentil stew and it tasted wonderful. I asked Dave to give it a taste, and he proclaimed it "Amazing." Great start!

I've also been toying with another green smoothie over the last week. After a couple of unfortunate mishaps, I had the idea of making a tropical fruit smoothie - something to celebrate the first few (and long overdue) hints of spring. It was a beautiful, sunny day with clear blue skies, so thoughts of warm summer afternoons no longer seemed so far-fetched!

I combined frozen banana, mango and a healthy dose of orange juice. This alone could make a really nice fruit smoothie, but I added a giant handful of spinach and some chia seeds to really bump up the nutritional value.

As I mentioned in my post about iron, combining high iron foods with high vitamin C foods increases iron absorption. Plus, chia seeds are high in omega-3, omega-6, vitamin B, fiber and protein. Superfoods indeed!

Spinach, orange juice, mango and chia all compliment each other so nicely and make this smoothie a nutritional powerhouse.

I called this sneaky smoothie The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing because it's bright green and chock-full of spinach, but tastes like a tropical fruit explosion!

So which is the wolf - the spinach or the fruit? I'm not sure, but it's deceptively delicious.


The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Prep time: 5 minutes

Makes 1 large smoothie (16 oz) or two small smoothies (8 oz)


Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup orange juice
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
1 Tbsp. chia seeds
1 cup spinach


Instructions:

1. Add everything to a blender and process until smooth.*

*This smoothie is less like sorbet and more like really cold, mildly frozen juice. You can add ice cubes and/or freeze it for a thicker consistency.*

Sunny days...