Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Serenity Now

I've discovered...GARDENING!!

My husband and I bought our first house in June of 2012: a slightly dilapidated two storey house from the early 20th century with a jungle of a backyard.

What it lacks in modernity it makes up in personality.

Or at least that's what I tell myself.

I spent much of last summer just trying to tame the massive tangle of weeds that choked every inch of space. It was a long, grueling effort, but it was worth it - I started off this year with a relatively blank slate.

April was spent planning, sketching, researching and making list after list of possible plant combinations.

Once the weather changed in early May we hit up garden stores, spent several hundred dollars and came home with a carload of flowers, bushes and trees.

I have barely been back inside my house since.

I spend almost every free moment out in the garden, puttering around like a little old lady. I can easily while away an entire afternoon up to my elbows in dirt, digging up dandelions and I absolutely love it!

I have no idea what I'm doing, and will likely kill at least half of the plants I've just purchased, but I don't care. It's so utterly satisfying being outside and creating a beautiful, living piece of art in my own space.

To celebrate my new-found love of gardening, and because I was spending so much time outside I often forgot meals, I created this simple, filling smoothie.

I can throw it together in just a few minutes, and then drink it while meandering around the backyard.

It's bliss in a glass.


Serenity Now

Prep time: 5 minutes

Makes one 10 ounce smoothie
 Ingredients:

3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (Almond Breeze)
3/4 cup frozen strawberries
1 frozen banana
1/4 cup rolled oats
2-3 purple kale leaves, torn
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 Tbsp. hemp seeds
1 tsp. vanilla


Directions:

1. Blend, then stop and smell the flowers.