Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Adobo Black Bean Dip

Let me introduce you to a friend named Mr. Adobo.

Adobo is a Spanish marinade made with vinegar, garlic, salt, paprika and oregano and it's absolutely delicious.

It's sometimes used as a marinade on meat, but is more commonly used to preserve ripe jalapeno peppers. These beauties are called chipotles and they come swimming in a spicy, smoky, vinegary concoction a billion times better than any bottled barbeque sauce. Is that enough mouth-watering adjectives?

I love chipotles in adobo!

Unfortunately chipotles in adobo are most often sold in a little metal can. I try to avoid canned goods but I make an exception so I can enjoy a little adobo from time to time.

The most common brands are San Marcos and La Costena and they're usually sold in the 'Mexican' food section at grocery stores. I have yet to find an organic and/or jarred version, but am hoping to put together my own recipe for chipotles in adobo in the near future.

Anyway, I found a can in my pantry and had just made a big pot of black beans, so the combination just seemed obvious. This recipe has five ingredients and it's ready in less than five minutes.

So easy, and so addictive. After taking a few pictures for this post I ate almost the entire bowl. With my fingers.

Domo arigato, Mr. Adobo.


Adobo Black Bean Dip

Prep time: 5 minutes

Makes about 1/2 cup



Ingredients:

3-4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
1 cup cooked black beans (How to Cook...Beans!)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1/4 cup chopped chipotles in adobo*
1 Tbsp. lime juice


*I prefer to chop up two peppers in a coffee cup using kitchen shears, then add the bits to a 1/4 cup and top it with as much of the delicious sauce as possible*


Directions:

1. Add everything to a blender and puree, scraping down the sides as required

Inspired by Big Vegan