Thursday, 25 July 2013

The Happy Accident

Yesterday I accomplished a few goals:

1. I used the bike rack on the front of a city bus. That might sound like a weird accomplishment, but it's been on my to-do list for months. I was worried I'd try to pull the metal contraption open and it would fall off, or my bike would roll off into oncoming traffic, or I wouldn't be able to hoist the bike into place and it would fall on me...the list of ridiculous ways it could have gone wrong was endless. 

Thankfully Dave was interested in taking a little bike trip and offered to give me a hand. We trekked downtown then Dave helped me load the bikes in properly. Voila! Easy peasy.

2. I spent some quality time with one of my best buds, Brent, and his beautiful daughter. She's turning one today! Happy birthday, sweet child.

3. I went to Bulk Barn (cue heavenly choir) and stocked up on all kinds of goodies: nuts, dried fruit, nut butters, beans, rice, spices. It's a wonderful, magical place for strange folks like me.

4. I biked down one of the escarpment paths that lead downtown. This is something I've wanted to do since I was a kid, but there was absolutely no way I would have done it back then. One of my friends took a mighty spill down this same road when we were teens and I have fond memories of waiting in the emergency room to get her wounds patched. Anyway, I digress. It was so much fun to fly down the path and look out across the city on a beautiful, sunny day. I'm excited to try some of the other roads next.

5. I came home and found myself absolutely starving. I was definitely in the mood for a smoothie. I'd just biked halfway around my city and was craving something creamy and satiating. I threw together some standby ingredients including a giant handful of some local, organic kale...then added a splash of vanilla. 

I was expecting to taste something similar to The Linda (which, by the way, has now become my best friend's go-to breakfast...woo!), but was completely taken aback when I tried this smoothie.

What was different? The taste was sweeter, but in a way I couldn't place. I went back and checked my ingredients only to find that I'd used almond extract instead of vanilla. The taste difference was like night and day. 

If you've never tried almond extract in a smoothie (and honestly, have many people done this? Maybe there are hundreds of almond extract smoothie recipes out there...) I strongly encourage you to try this recipe. It's really pretty amazing.


The Happy Accident 

Proof that sometimes making a mistake yields delicious results.


Prep time: 5 minutes

Makes about 10 ounces


Ingredients:

3/4 cup almond milk
3/4 cup frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen mango
1/4 cup frozen mixed berries
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 giant handful of kale, stems removed*
1 Tbsp. chia seeds
1 tsp. almond extract

*I try to add as much kale as I can before the taste becomes too prominent. Kale is so unbelievably healthy but I'm not a salad eater so I make up some of the difference here. Feel free to use as much or little kale as you'd like, but ideally at least 1 cup.


Directions:

1. Add everything to your blender and let it do its thing. This is a thick smoothie and may take a few minutes to fully blend, so scrape down the sides once or twice and check for consistency.