Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Spicy Puttanesca Sauce

Confession time: I'm more than a little uncomfortable with self-promotion.

I know it's a big thing in blogging, especially food blogging, but I feel a little strange going on and on about the latest and greatest vegan recipe I've concocted.

I know what I'm making is good. Some of it is really good. But it's an exercise in futility to try and persuade readers that my recipes are to better than the scores of other vegan options out there.

Ideally, I'd invite everyone reading over for dinner and just let you try my recipes. That way the food speaks for itself and I don't have to re-use words like "amazing" and "delicious" for the billionth time.

Regardless of my concerns, I hope you'll indulge my ego and trust me: this puttanesca sauce is hands-down one of the greatest tomato sauces I've ever had.

A bold statement, I know, but it's true. This is the real deal.

I've actually never made proper tomato sauce on my own before. It's a little labour-intensive, but the results are so unbelievably good that it's worth every single moment of prep.

This sauce is so fantastically versatile; you can keep it chunky for a rustic pasta sauce or a bruschetta mix, pulse it a bit in a food processor to make a smoother pasta sauce, or even blend it right down for pizza sauce.

If you've never tried anything from The Essential Vegan, I urge you to start with this sauce.

You won't be disappointed!

Spicy Puttanesca Sauce

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

2 cups tomatoes, chopped
4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup kalmata olives, chopped
3 Tbsp. capers
2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh curly parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. safflower oil
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. sea salt

Directions:

1. Heat oil on medium in a cast iron skillet or a medium-sized pot
2. Cook onion for 4-5 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally
3. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook another two minutes
4. Toss in everything else, then partially cover and simmer for 20 minutes
5. Stir every 5-7 minutes, breaking down larger pieces of tomato
6. Uncover and simmer another 5 minutes
7. Pulse mixture in a food processor to achieve desired consistency*

*I blended the sauce for about 1 minute to get a thick, slightly chunky pasta sauce.


Inspired by: Vegan Cooking for Carnivores